These directions will assist you in downloading and transferring an ebook to a Kindle using a USB cord. This method is required for devices that do not have wireless internet capabilities. This method is also required for ALL ebooks published by the Penguin Publishing Company.
1. Go to the PLS OverDrive website: www.justsoyouknow.us/overdrive
2. Find the book you want to download. If the book is available for Kindle, you will see "Kindle Book"listed under Format Information.
3. Click "borrow", or click "place a hold" to be added to the waiting list.
4. Click "Proceed to Checkout."
5. Sign in with your library card number and 4-digit PIN.
6. Use the lending period dropdown menu to select a 7, 14, or 21 day checkout period.
7. Click "Confirm Checkout."
8. Click the "Get for Kindle" button.
9. You will be taken to amazon.com. If you have not already signed in to amazon.com, you will be prompted to do so.
10. You will see a green box with a yellow button on the right side of the screen.
11. Select “Transfer via computer” from the pull down and click the “get library book” button.
- If you already checked out the library book, go the “Manage Your Kindle” page: http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle. You will see Your Kindle Library. To the right of the book title, click “Actions” and select “Download & transfer via USB.
12. Select the Kindle device you want to transfer the book to via USB and click “continue.
13. You will be prompted to open or save the file; choose "Save" and select a location to save it to that is easy to find again, such as the desktop.
- For Windows 7 users with Internet Explorer, the box pops up at the bottom of the screen and the file is saved by default into the “Downloads” file, accessible through the sequence Start > Computer > Downloads.
- For Mac users with Safari, the file will go to “Downloads.” Click on the down arrow icon in the top right corner of the Safari browser to see the download.
14. Once the file has been saved, connect your Kindle to your computer using the USB cable. Your Kindle's name will appear in the same location where you usually see the names of external USB drives.
- For Windows users, this is typically in the "Computer" or "My Computer" menu.
- For Mac users, the drive will appear on the desktop.
15. Open the Kindle drive. You will see a "documents" folder. This is the folder where ebooks are stored.
16. Locate your downloaded ebook file, and drag and drop it into the “documents” file on the Kindle.
17. Safely eject your Kindle from your computer, and unplug the USB cable. The book you transferred will now appear on your Kindle.